Bell Tower Project
Helping Save Grantsdale’s Bell Tower
In 1889 a small school was built in the town of Grantsdale. This bell sat in a tower on the top. By 1956 the school had become unsafe. Through a series of bond elections between 1956 and 1963, a new school was built and the old school was dismantled. At that time, the bell was placed in the school yard, where it remained. The tower was rebuilt by a group of local volunteers several years ago and dedicated to Duby Santee, the school principal. While it was being built, the students hand twisted twine into heavy rope. All 50 students lined up with the rope and pulled the bell into place in its newly constructed tower.
Bell Tower Relocated to our Museum
The year 2013 was the last year Grantsdale Elementary served as an outstanding and nurturing educational institution for our valley’s precious youngsters.
In 2013 and 2014, fundraisers were carried out to relocate the bell tower to the Ravalli County Museum where it could be preserved.
The Bell Tower is now in its new home, on the Museum grounds, but commemorative bricks that make up the foundation are still available! To purchase a brick, download a Grantsdale brick form